Moving is hard. Plain and simple. It is stressful, detailed, and chaotic. Oh, and to top it off, it is expensive.
List of expenses you should encounter when moving:
- security deposit on new apartment or earnest money & down payment on new home
- packing supplies (boxes, blankets, dolly, tape, bags, etc.)
- truck rental
- release of lease on apartment or sale of old home (various expenses here)
- change of address and possible lost mail
What you should NOT pay for:
- Fee for a moving broker, someone who helps you find a realtor or apartment. If you are selling your house, you will pay your broker a commission (5-7%). A broker finding you a new home will not be paid a commission by you; she will receive a cut of the selling broker's commission.
- Phone company fees to change your phone number. They always want to charge you for changing your number, but you should threaten dropping them all together. Watch that fee disappear.
- Apartment cleaning fees, AKA your original security deposit. Don't lose it, so thoroughly clean your apartment before you leave. This includes wiping everything down with dish soap and water in a spray bottle, replace your stove top drip pans ($6 at Walmart), and vacuum.
What things are you doing to make moving easier for you?