Skip to main content

Finance Fridays: Work lunch

While you can't avoid spending money on a business lunch with a client or prospective client, you can save money on making your lunch at work every other day. Below is the strategy I use to avoid spending $20 to $50 per week on restaurant lunches.





At work in the fridge, keep a lunch box, like this one from California Innovations that I purchased at Kroger. Inside, store mayo, lunch meat, cheese, cream cheese, and anything else you need to create your meal at work. I also like mason jars filled with lettuce and toppings for a great salad. I keep cream cheese for my morning bagel too!

In your desk, keep a bag of bread and chips or crackers. I keep pretzels in a plastic storage container in my desk drawer. This is much cheaper than the $1 tiny bags of chips in the vending machine. My bread bag, as I call it, also has a bag of bagels for those hurried mornings that I miss cereal at home and can't be late to work. Knowing that I have something waiting for me is a big help.

Lastly, don't be shy to take free things left in your office kitchen after a meeting, like granola bars, cookies, or something similar. Just don't take all of them. Keep some in your desk for snacking later or to accompany your lunch.

This week, I spent $16 for all the items I used for lunch this week. I assemble my lunch in the kitchen or in a private conference room or at my desk. Your work kitchen likely has plastic utensils and paper plates, like mine, so help yourself.

If you make your lunches at home or work, you will have plenty of money left over to treat yourself to lunch with a friend once a week. Let me know what you do to save money on lunch.

Diana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Junk Drawer Organization

I just moved to a new city and state, and none of my storage space in my new apartment is like all my storage space in my old house. I downsized from 2,000 square feet to 900 square feet, so I am trying to cope.


















The junk drawer is always a hassle. It won't open well, it won't stay shut, or you can't find anything.
Dollar Tree to the rescue! I purchased plastic skinny storage containers and poster tack (putty) all at the dollar store. For less than $5, I have this now:

No labels needed. Each container had very little in it. One for pens, index cards (used for shopping lists), measuring tape, tape and stapler, mini flashlight and box cutter, and letter opener and hole punch.

Simply cut a dime-size chunk of poster tack. Place it on the bottom corners of your containers. And, place the container in its rightful spot. When you open the drawer, nothing moves or jingles. So nice!!

Let me know what you've done to tame your junk drawer.
Diana

Free Printable - Daily Journal

I journal everyday. I jot down a few sentences or bullet points that help me set the tone for my day, and then I reflect on my day. It creates self-awareness and motivation. It helps me understand what is really important to me.

I have been through a rough few months due to a job loss that, which was really a blessing to lose. I was bullied excessively by a manager for 11 months. It took a lot of strength for me not to quit and stay motivated. This journal is what helped!




Download here!

1. Visit link.
2. This is a PDF. So, print page 2 in color (or black and white), double-sided. That will give you four days of journaling per page. Print as many pages as you want. I printed 90.
3. Print the cover page as the cover of your journal.
3. Three-ring hole punch or spiral bind hole punch the top of each page.
4. Bind in three-ring binder or spiral binding.



Positive Thinking Experiment

I've been thrown some curve balls in my life that I am proud to say I have handled well. In order to stay positive throughout all the negativity, I have journaled, created vision boards, and I even listened to countless hours of positivity focused audiobooks. There's no secret recipe to happiness because everyone gauges happiness in different ways. To me, happiness is security with the ones I love. Pretty simple, huh?
OK, so you don't need to do what I did, and I wouldn't recommend the hours of book reading or listening. If you're working on being a more positive person, or even if it was your new year resolution, here is a guideline to follow. Take gratitude walks. It is hard to carve out time to walk around, but I encourage you to take 10 minutes at first and work up to 30 minutes a week. I suggest taking a walk anywhere, even around your house, with your significant other and mention all the things you are grateful for. You can do it alone, like I do around my off…