I might be late to the party - the scent party. Every home, and car for that matter, has a signature scent. Some are good, but most are bad. At my home, I cook a lot of smelly things, like fish, onions, garlic, etc. Plus, buying odor neutralizing sprays and powders gets expensive.
In an effort to create a new home signature scent, I took to organic recipes that are boiled on the stove and simmered for up to three hours. The smell permeates the home and neutralizes bad odors from cooking, pets, and other odorous things. You could purchase a potpourri crock pot, but I prefer a small saucepan. Try out one or all of these great recipes. All it takes is fruit, herbs and spices. Select any recipe below (I prefer orange and vanilla) and fill a sauce pan 3/4 full with water. These can be made ahead: combine ingredients in a jar, fill the jar with water, and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Let me know how it turns out.
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and one sliced lemon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1 sliced orange
- 1 sliced orange, 5 cinnamon sticks, 2 tablespoons of whole cloves
- 1 sliced orange, 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 2 sliced limes, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 5 1/4 inch slices of ginger, 1 tablespoon almond extract, 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of peppermint extract, 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 lemon, 1 tsp black peppercorns, handful of basil
- Earl Grey tea, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract, 1 sliced lime