Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Homecooking

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am a good cook in my heart, but my hands do something else. I MUST follow recipes in order to produce good food. Bless those of you who can whip up something without a recipe. I want to be you when I grow up.

My husband was out of the country for a week, living on restaurant food and room service. For the country he was working in, it was for the best. Still, he craved low-sodium homecooking. So, I have to share these winning recipes with you. Follow or adjust and let me know how it turned out. Photos encouraged.

Easy Potato Soup
Quick and easy potato soup with a kick, thanks to red pepper flakes.



Ingredients:
  • 6 to 8 red potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp. butter [substitute 3 Tbsp. canola oil]
  • 2 small carrots, diced or shredded
  • 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 4 c. milk
  • 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley [substitute 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes]
  • 1 Ttbsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt [substitute 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper]
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1 chicken bouillon cube (optional) [substitute 1/2 c. canned chicken broth, low sodium]
Instructions:
  • Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender. Strain potatoes and place them in a large bowl; set aside.
  • In same large pot, melt butter (or use canola oil) until golden brown. Add carrots and onions. Cover and cook until tender. Remove from heat.
  • Blend in flour. Stir in milk.
  • Add half of potatoes (or all potatoes and skip next step).
  • Mash rest of potatoes and add with rest of ingredients.
  • Heat until steaming hot.

Slow-cooker Short Ribs
My go-to recipe for ribs.

Ingredients:
  • 4 lbs. pork spareribs, cut into 2-rib sections
  • 1 pkg. McCormick Slow Cookers BBQ Pulled Pork or McCormick Slow Cookers Souther BBQ Ribs mix
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar (light brown okay)
  • 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 c. ketchup
Instructions:
  • Place ribs in slow cooker.
  • Mix seasoning mix, brown sugar, vinegar and ketchup in separate bowl.
  • Pour mixture over ribs.

  • Set cooker on high for 4 hours.
Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment